Thursday 4 July 2013

♥Something Personal~ Living with PCOS♥

Living with PCOS...
Well as the title says this post will be about something a little more personal than usual. I don't tend to speak about my personal things a lot but I think this is something that I want to share with you girls. This is a topic I really don't tend to speak about and on a hole tend to avoid. But I want to help and share my experiences with other girls that have PCOS and hopefully help you in some way. 

MY STORY:
About two years ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS for short. At that time I was 18 years old and really confused, it was the first time I had ever herd about Polycystic ovary syndrome before. And at the time I didn't really understand what it was or how it would effect me at all. For anyone that doesn't know what it is PCOS is something that effects 5-10% of women 12-45 years of age. There are three main features of PCOS: *note you don't have to have all three to be diagnosed with PCOS*
  • The first being cysts that develop around the ovaries i.e Polycystic ovaries.
  • The second being ovulation, a failure to release eggs from the ovaries.
  • And thirdly male hormones being higher than normal and or male hormones that are more active than normal.
  With those three main features it could lead you to the following symptoms which are all... really not very nice, I have some but not all of the following symptoms:

  • Excessive body hair (Hirsutism) *I suffer from.
  • Irregular or light periods. *I suffer from.
  • Infertility (problems getting pregnant)
  • Weight gain *I suffer from.
  • Acne.
  • Hair loss from the head.
All these symptoms as a girl sounds really awful I know. When I first went to the doctor to find out why I was having irregular periods I thought 'Oh I'll just have to speak with my doctor then possibly take some medication to help.' But I was wrong.....After explaining to my doctor that my periods were irregular and that I was having a period possibly once every 7 months, sometimes none at all. And during the time when I didn't have any periods I was suffering from a lot of pain in my lower back and the lower part of my tummy. I was told that there were two options for me I could take the pill I was told it would begin to make my periods regular again, but due to my weight I couldn't take the pill. (at the time I was at my heaviest weight I'd ever been touching the scales at just under 16st , 221lbs, 100kg) So instead I was offered the mini pill which is pretty much the same. I was given that and told to come back after taking it for a month. Sadly it didn't work, yes I got a period but it lasted for just over 2 weeks so made the decision to take myself off the medication. After going back to the doctors I was sent to the hospital to have an ultrasound scan and blood tests done. When I went back to the doctors for the results it was then that I was diagnosed with PCOS.

Frankly speaking since then the symptoms I have are worst than when I was first diagnosed. Being a girl of course I find the symptoms really difficult to deal with, they really have affected my confidence and taken me to an all time low. I've felt like a freak because of excess body hair that I have on my face, arms and the rapid hair growth. To me it's just not feminine to have facial hair, even if when I've been told by family members they can't see anything it's just the thought of it being there even though it's hidden. Facial hair coupled with weight problems, and finding it extremely hard to lose weight can bring the strongest of girls down. It's difficult to have PCOS I've felt alone at time's and have lost complete confidence in myself too, it's difficult for people without it to understand how it feels. Each case is different our bodies aren't the same and it affects us girls all differently. 

But I truly believe that speaking with other girls that have PCOS and sharing our experiences, and our challenges with PCOS. We can have peace of mind that we aren't alone and that we shouldn't have to feel like freaks because of the various symptoms we may or may not suffer from. 

After neglecting myself since being diagnosed I have decided to fight back against my PCOS, lose weight, become healthy and get my confidence back. I would like to share my battle against this and hopefully inspire   some of you girls that suffer from it to do the same.

Please know you are not alone in the fight against this awful syndrome I have it too. If you have PCOS or know someone that does please leave me a comment and tell me your story or send me an email. I would love to hear from other girls that also suffer from PCOS. 


If you stuck with this and read to the end I'd like to thank you, this post was a little difficult for me to write but I hope it will help anyone that has the same. 


Until next time 
bye bye
Sailor Mars  ♥
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment